Published on Monday, 11 April 2016 10:00
Listen to Episode #8
In this Episode:
- In the Crosshairs: Did Gun Rights Die With Justice Scalia?
- In the News: Ruger's fundraiser for the NRA-ILA; and the 2016 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits.
- Q&A: Holsters required to openly carry a handgun; school activity grounds.
- Another installment of The History of Concealed-Carry in Texas focusing on 2009 legislative session.
In The Crosshairs:
In this episode I discuss the dramatic impact of the death of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia on the Second Amendment, American's gun rights and the increased importance of the 2016 Presidential election.
Information cited in this episodes' In the Crosshairs:
- District of Columbia v. Heller - Held that the Second Amendment is a right held by individual citizens;
- McDonald v. City of Chicago - Held that the Second Amendment protects against state laws, not just the federal government;
- Kolby v. Hogan - Held that "strict scrutity" applies to courts reviewing gun laws that impact the Second Amendment;
- "Resistance . . . - Law review article for Alice Marie Beard, Second Amendment attorney.
In the News:
- Ruger fundraiser for the NRA/ILA;
- NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, Louisville, KY May 19-22, 2016.
History of CHL/LTC in Texas:
In addition to other pro-gun bills, the 2005 Texas Legislative Session saw the passage of three bills that directly benefit Texas Conceaeled Handgun Licensees! They were:
Concealed-Carry Bills & Documents Cited in this Episode's History of CHL in Texas:
- HB 410 - Removing penalties for failure to display a carry license;
- HB 2664 - Creating a defense if no 51% is displayed;
- HB 2730 - DPS Sunset Bill.
- What type of holster is required to openly carry a handgun;
- School activity grounds.
Links to laws and information discussed in the Q&A segment:
Guns & Gear:
- The YAPL match at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood 4/15/16, beginning at 2:00PM;
- The PSC Women’s Program at PSC Shooting Club April 9th at 8:30;
- Check your local area for shooting events and get to the range for some practice;
- Join or donate to the NRA, especially the NRA/ILA – your 2A rights depend upon a well-funded ILA;
- Sign up for TFC email and eNewsletters
- If you like the TFC Podcasts, please considering supporting the Texas Firearms Coalition with a donation or becoming a sustaining Supporter. You can do so by going to www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com and clicking on “Support TFC” link in the main menu.
- Subscribe to the TFC Podcast by going to iTunes and searching for "Texas Firearms Coalition Podcast"
- Thanks for joining us and we hope you are with us for future episodes.